Richard Latham Canon
Given by the Latham Family as a racing class trophy but never awarded, this working brass signal canon was redirected in 2006 to commemorate the Race Committee chairs of Chicago Yacht Club.
Due to the loss of many of the club’s historical records in a fire in a member’s home in the 1930’s, early records are sketchy. Research of old newspaper articles has filled most of the gaps. In researching old club bylaws, we learned that the original title of the Race Committee was “Regatta Committee”, a title used into the 1920’s, for the committee charged with “duties including selecting judges, sailing ground, and prizes, plus to direct all matters connected with regattas”. Orchestrating over one hundred volunteers to run racing requiring over 10,000 hours on the water each year is a formidable task.