Hamilton Club Trophy
This trophy was given in 1926 by the Hamilton Club of Chicago to the Chicago Yacht Club for Chicago Yacht Club's Triangular Race sailed over Labor Day each year.
From 1926 through 1934 it was restricted to yawl, schooners and ketches in the cruising division. During these years the entire race was under the jurisdiction of Chicago Yacht Club. In 1926 the race was from Belmont to St. Joseph, St. Joseph to Michigan City, and Michigan City to Belmont via Jackson Park. In 1927 it was run Van Buren Street, St. Joseph to Michigan City to Jackson Park. From 1928 through 1933 it was run in two legs only, Chicago to Black Lake and return. From 1935 through 1939 it was sailed in three legs and was opened to all cruising yachts. Jackson Park YC sponsored the first leg between Jackson Park and Michigan City, Chicago Yacht Club the second leg between Michigan City and St. Joseph, and Columbia YC the final leg between St. Joseph and Van Buren Street. In 1940 the order of the race legs was reversed. After a gradual decline in participation for the Tri-State regatta, the trophy was awarded one last time for the Bi-State (Chicago-St Joseph-Chicago) in 2012. In 2013, the Hamilton Club Trophy will enjoy a fr3esh start as the trophy for a new CYC distance race, the CYC Hamilton Trophy Night Race. Run as part of the CYC Annual Cruise to Racine, any CYC member sailboat game for the adventure can participate in the race.
The Hamilton Club was a social club of Republican affiliation formed in 1890, located in its later years in the Loop with membership peaking at 3800, and was dissolved in 1937.
The Hamilton Club Trophy is in the form of a silver plated Nef. A Nef is a term used to refer to a vessel shaped like a ship, used in the later Middle Ages for the lord's napkin, knife and spoon. By the 16th Century they were used as table ornaments and status symbols, especially in Germany and Switzerland.