Sonar Fleet Membership Form
Please review the rules and complete the form below to apply for Sonar Fleet Membership.
The Sonar’s are durable, safe and fun. They appeal to all ages and skill levels, easily sailed by two people, but with a cockpit large enough for four people to enjoy. Responsive, but stable at 2000 lbs with a fixed lead keel and self bailing cockpit, it is easily driven with a mainsail, 100% jib, and spinnaker. Since its introduction in 80’s, the Sonar has blossomed into an International class.
Still, the Sonar, while not large or overly complicated, is a small keel boat that can overwhelm a completely novice sailor. We want to make sure you have the necessary basic skills to safely operate the boat before you set out to sea!
Complete the information on this form and you will be contacted by the Keelboat Director or a fleet member to discuss the necessary skills and arrange a time to meet and take a test sail. Required skills include tying a few simple knots while rigging the boat, demonstrating some basic sailing skills (tacking/gybing and stopping the boat) and boat maneuvers including leaving and returning to the dock.
The annual membership fee for the Sonar fleet is $450 and supports the operation and upkeep of the boats. Anyone can join the Sonar fleet with the payment of the membership fee, even if you haven’t taken the test sail yet.
As a member, your CYC membership account will serve as a ‘damage deposit’. In the event there is damage that needs repair, you may be liable for up to $2500. Coverage for the boats beyond that is under the club’s umbrella insurance policy.
Upon passing the skills check and test sail, you will be listed as a ‘qualified’ member and are free to reserve the boats, as available, for the entire calendar year. There is a reservation window that allows for reservations up to 30 days ahead. We also ask you give us 48 hours minimum notice, especially for weekend reservations, to coordinate launching and leave the dock with no more than five (5) souls aboard.
- Memberships are good for one season, and expire at the end of the season when they are purchased. Typical sailing season lasts from late March to early November. Membership is required for participation in Sonar Frostbiting.
- Memberships are $450 regardless of your club membership status. Members may arrange a payment schedule with the CYC Accounting Office for a payment plan of two $250.
- Membership allows you to use the boat on any non-black-out day
- Membership does not exempt one from boat use fees during a regatta (RYF, Verve Cup, match race or team race) where the fleet is being used.
- Memberships are for an individual and that individual must be on board the boat when it is out sailing.
- The daily rental rate for non-fleet members is $80 per hour.